South Carolina Department of Education e-Learning South Carolina Resources Acceptable Use Policy
The South Carolina Department of Education encourages the use of its e-Learning South Carolina resources, including but not limited to Moodle and Elluminate, as a way to create and share information and knowledge in support of students, teachers, and administrators. This Acceptable Use Policy summarizes, and where applicable, outlines SCDOE specific rules and procedures for appropriate use of all e-Learning South Carolina resources. All users, students, teachers, administrators and facilitators, will be held to the terms and conditions outlined in this policy.
II. Use of e-Learning South Carolina Resources
Users agree to use e-Learning South Carolina resources in accordance with this policy and all applicable laws. Users agree that they will not use any e-Learning South Carolina resources to transmit or post the following content:
- Content that does not clearly identify the author or defames or threatens others;
- Bigoted statements concerning the race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or sexual orientation of others;
- Content that discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them;
- Content that infringes upon another’s intellectual property, including but not limited to, copyrights, trademarks or trade secrets;
- Material that contains vulgar or obscene language or images or links;
- Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation;
- Content related to partisan political activities;
- Excessive or unsolicited electronic mail;
- Copyrighted material, including without limitation software, graphics, text, photographs, sound, video and musical recordings without the express permission of the owner of the copyright in the material, or other legal entitlement to use the material.
Additionally, users further agree that they will not (a) access or attempt to access any other user’s account/information without permission of the user, or misrepresent or attempt to misrepresent their identity while using e-Learning South Carolina resource, (b) engage in the disproportionate use of e-Learning South Carolina resources that creates a debilitating effect on these resources available to other users, or (c) places any material or file in any e-Learning South Carolina resource which contains a virus or provides access to any other materials elsewhere which the user knows or has reason to believe contains a virus.
III. Limitation of Use
Users may use e-Learning South Carolina resources for appropriate legal purposes only. Furthermore, users agree that, if a third party claims that any material posted by a user is unlawful, that the user will bear the burden of establishing that the material complies with all applicable laws. User will hold the SCDOE harmless and agrees to indemnify the SCDOE for any content user adds that is in violation if this policy.
South Carolina Department of Education reserves the right, at its sole discretion and without prior notice, to revoke users account, change or remove content, block access or take other action with respect to any material that violates this policy. Users should immediately contact course facilitators and the Office of Technology at 803-734-0794 to report violations of this procedure. All reported violations will be investigated immediately and may result in temporary/permanent denial of access to e-Learning South Carolina resources, or referral for criminal prosecution.