Interacting in Your Course
Active participation is an integral part of all VirtualSC PD courses. This page provides written directions and videos for how to participate in the forums and assignments that are a part of the course
- Forums: Forums give you a chance to interact with other course members in a discussion board.
- Assignments: Assignments give you the opportunity to show your facilitator what you’ve learned, and how you’ve synthesized that new learning. Assignments will have multiple formats and requirements.
- During the course, you will create assignments that will be uploaded to the course.
- Be sure to save your work on your computer in a folder named specifically for your VirtualSC PD course.
- Most assignments need to be submitted in a PDF format; assignment directions will specify file type required.
- Click here for directions on how to convert different file formats to PDF.
- When you name files that you submit, follow the naming convention described in the assignment.
- All assignments are due during the active session week. Unless prior arrangements are made and agreed to with the facilitator, then late assignments will not be accepted and will be awarded a zero in the grade book.
- In the assignments, you are required to cite evidence from the readings. This lets your facilitator know that you are interacting with the course materials.
Watch the video below to learn how to submit an assignment in Moodle:
Participating in Discussion Forums
- Participating in discussion forums is an important feature of all facilitated VirtualSC PD renewal and graduate courses.
- Forums allow you to share your questions and ideas with other students.
- Past participants have shared that forums have enhanced their professional growth.
- In the discussion forum each week, you will be asked to synthesize the readings and resources you’ve been assigned. (An exception to this would be in a self-paced, non-facilitated renewal course from VirtualSC PD.)
- Make sure that you refer to the Forum Guidelines and Discussion Forum Rubric found in the course when posting to forums and replying to others.
- In the forums, you will cite evidence from the readings. This lets the facilitator know that you are interacting with the course materials.
- Watch the video below to see how to create an initial forum post:
Checking Your Progress
- It is your responsibility to keep up with your progress and grades.
- To check your grades, go to the Administration Block. (NEED STEPS THEN SCREEN SHOT)
- For assignments and forums that use rubrics you will view the feedback from within the Moodlerooms
Viewing Feedback on Assignments with Rubrics
As mentioned above, many of the assignments you will complete, and forums you will participate in, are set up to use Rubrics to provide you with succinct feedback on how you performed. Watch the video below to learn how to access the Moodlerooms Grader for this feedback: